Monday 29 October 2012

Artemis Fowl


                                    Artemis Fowl


When I first read Artemis Fowl, I knew that I would be awake past my curfew, since I was hooked onto the book. Artemis Fowl was written by Eoin Colfer and published by Hyperion Books in New York in 2002. Since then, Eoin Colfer has added seven more books to the Artemis Fowl series, with the eight and last book released only a few weeks ago. In my opinion, I would definitely recommend this book to my friends, which I already have (and coincidentally, it was a friend who introduced me to this book).

In present day Ireland, there is a 12-year-old millionaire child prodigy, named Artemis Fowl. He has a devious plan to kidnap Captain Holly Short, the first female LEPrecon unit officer. In order to avoid the fairy world being exposed, Commander Julius Roots and co. must give Artemis Fowl one ton of 24 small unmarked gold ingots. Only with eight hours to solve this crisis, thanks to a fairy invention called time-stopping, can the LEPrecon unit get Captain Holly Short back the fairy world or will Artemis Fowl out-smart the fairies?

Artemis Fowl, a cold-hearted, evil genius executed his ingenious plan to kidnap a fairy. In order for him to succeed with his plan, he must defeat the LEPrecon with the help of his bulky bodyguard, Butler. The reason why Artemis needs the gold is because he wants to find his assumedly-dead father, whose last known position was in Russian seas. Artemis Fowl, having a persistent personality, will do anything to find his father, even if it means harming other creatures.
  
Artemis Fowl is similar to many well-known teen fiction books, such as Percy Jackson, Hunger Games and Skulduggery Pleasant series (all of which I have read). Artemis Fowl, Percy Jackson and Skulduggery Pleasant series all have that concept of inter-species war, which is rapidly becoming incredibly popular nowadays. Even books like the Twilight series (which I strongly dislike) have that idea. Although Hunger Games series does not have the inter-species war topic, Artemis Fowl and Hunger Games series both have a fast-paced and exhilarating narrative. I have read a number of books (all of which are books that are currently in trend), and I can easily say that Artemis Fowl cracks my top 10 favourite books list.

Artemis Fowl is an exceptional book with a great assembled cast of characters and a fresh, new and original plot. I would recommend for people to read this book if they love fantasy and are bored by long and dull books (some examples being Harry Potter and Twilight series). Even if you don’t adore the genre of fantasy, this book is still brilliant. I trust you will take my advice to read Artemis Fowl. As a wicked criminal mastermind once said, “Trust me, I haven’t been wrong yet.”

By Julienne, MS 

No comments:

Post a Comment